This weekend, I’m heading up to wine country and I’ve been charged with bringing the picnic! So I sat around and brainstormed today… sandwiches? Yeah, maybe but that didn’t sound super exciting. Veggie burgers? Those would be tricky to take in the car for a few hours. I even thought about just bringing a bunch of snacks (which I’m totally doing anyway…) and then it hit me! Pasta salad. Delish and perfect for a picnic because it can be served cold and is easy to transport!
Pasta salads typically have a whole bunch a dairy n stuff in it. Oh, not to mention pasta? Not so gluten free friendly eh? False. You fell right into that one didn’t you? Well, I’ve come up with a way to keep the awesome but ditch the dairy and not so awesome for you pasta. Let’s do this.
Picnic Pasta Salad
Prep time: 30min
Serves a lot! Probably 4 – 6
What you need:
1box quinoa Rotelle pasta (I like Ancient Quinoa brand, tastes just like normal pasta.)
handful of asparagus spears
1 cup or so roma tomatoes
10 oz firm tofu
1/2 cup veganaise (I love Earth Balance Mindful Mayo)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
juice of half a lemon
sea salt and pepper
- Cook qunioa pasta according to package directions. You know, boil some water, stick the pasta in. You got this.
- While your pasta’s cooking, chop your veggies into bite sized pieces. I like to cut my asparagus into slanted pieces about 1in long. I chopped the zucchini into quarters and diced. Tomatoes sliced in half or quarters depending on their size. Chop up your basil leaves as well. TIP: Roll the basil leaves into a little twig shape and chop. Makes life way easier. Then chop again into smaller pieces.
- Cook your veggies. I cooked mine in the microwave, quick and easy works best for me. Let those cool.
- Drain your pasta, take care of business and let that cool as well.
- Meanwhile, make your tofu sauce. Mash your tofu up so it’s crumbled then add the veganaise, lemon juice, salt, pepper… mix that all up!
- Once everything has cooled, mix the veggies, pasta, and tofu sauce together. Add the cayene pepper plus any more lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Viola! Picnic time and a glass of wine.
Well now I’m hungry and this is delicious so eat up!