Merry Merry Merry Christmas to all and to all (almost) a goodnight!
This Christmas, I was charged with bringing a salad to our Christmas dinner partay. Salad? I got this. Well, this salad actually ended up evolving significantly from the original recipe I had on hand. In fact, the original suggested dressing was really less than stellar… However, I got creative and one tray of burnt pine nuts and one dressing makeover later… we had a winner!
Enjoy this yummy fall salad and feel free to mix things up with some different nuts or adding some vegan feta cheese. Check out this delicious dairy free, gluten-free and vegan faux feta I have discovered! Heidi Ho Organics makes the yummiest vegan cheeses I’ve ever tasted.
What will you add to your salad?
Winter Kale & Beet Salad
Prep time: 20mins
Serves 6 – 8 as a side or 3 – 4 as an appetizer
What you need:
For the salad:
4 curly kale leaves
6 red leaf lettuce leaves
4 or 5 medium red beets
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp lemon
walnuts & pecans
For the dressing:
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
1 clove garlic minced (I actually used a dime sized squeeze of garlic paste!)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cracked black pepper
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees to toast the nuts.
- Julienne beets drizzle with 1 tsp maple syrup and 1tsp lemon juice and set aside and let the beets soak it all in!
- Chop lettuce and kale, making sure to remove the kale stems and ripping or chopping into bite sized pieces.
- Toast your nuts for 5 to 8 minutes but make sure to keep an eye on them! (See afore mentioned burnt nuts…)
- While the nuts are toasting, let’s make our dressing! This dressing is supper easy and so yummy. Mix all ingredients together and feel free to adjust salt and pepper to taste. Once mixed, drizzle over kale and lettuce. You might want to check on your nuts now!!!
- Distribute beets on top of salad and then top with toasted nuts, viola! Taste central. 🙂
Enjoy! P.S. Sorry about the crummy pictures, I’m working on it 😉 XO